Wednesday, December 2, 2009

New Recipe Wednesday.

So, if you keep up, you know there are lots of things going on in my life. However you only know what I tell you...so I am here to fill you in a bit on what I have neglected to tell you thus far.


-You know, hopefully that I live in Texas.

-I also, if everything goes according to plan, will be moving to NY in January.

-I have a job, where I Facebook and Blogger all day and somehow still meet my quota...so that's awesome.

-Here is something you may not have known though:


I LOVE TO COOK/BAKE/BROIL/GRILL and D ALL THE ABOVE!!


I am not so much in the Christmas spirit due to all of the heartbroken-ness I have experienced since the month of August (two heartbreaks in 3 1/2 months will pretty much kill any jolliness).


But in order to force myself to enjoy the holidays, I ventured out into something I have never done before. I have decided to find the best Christmas cookie.


[[ Background ]]

It's a bit of tradition that my mother and I have cooked up that on Saturday mornings when I wake up, I get my cup of coffee (that has been Christmasy lately, mmm peppermint mocha) and I crawl into bed with her. We sit and watch Food Network and our favorite Saturday morning chef line-up. Down Home With The Neely's has gotten to be my FAV!! But anyway, we started collectively putting together a list of our favorite cookie and holiday treat recipes, and then we look them up online, visit the grocery store, and come home to make them.


From now on Wednesday is going to be New Recipe Wednesday.

This month it will be cookies and Christmas things most likely.

Today it will be my GINGERBREAD COOKIES!!



Ingredients

Gingerbread cookies:

1 package sugar cookie mix
1 egg
1/2 cup all-purpose
flour
1/4 cup melted butter
2 tablespoons pumpkin
pie spice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup dark molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Royal Icing

2 large egg whites or 5 tablespoons meringue powder
2 teaspoons fresh
lemon juice or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
Food coloring, if desired
For Gingerbread Cookies:

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, blend all ingredients together and chill for up to 1 hour. Roll dough out on floured board about 1/8-inch thick. Cut desired shapes with cookie cutters and place onto sheet pan. Bake for 8 minutes in preheated oven.

For Royal Icing:

With a hand mixer, beat the egg whites with the lemon juice or extract until frothy. Add the sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined, smooth, and shiny. Turn to high and beat approximately 5 minutes till stiff and glossy. Add food coloring, if desired, and transfer to a pasty bag to pipe onto cookies.


A thank you goes out to Sandra Lee from Semi-Homeade Cooking.


No comments:

Post a Comment