Monday, December 21, 2009

Sweet Sixteen.

There are LOTS of things in this world that irk my nerves.
People asking stupid questions that don't matter is definitely very high on that list.

So, I frequently am cornered with one of these unneccessary questions. Which one you may ask? Well I will tell you, since that is the point of this whole blogging business anyway.

"HOW OLD ARE YOU?"
(And the "are" is italicized due to the drawn out oomph people give it.)

Scenario A:
When working at Silver, Etc., my job prior to Allstate, I was often asked to help choose gifts for different lady loved ones of customers. This did not bother me at all. I loved it. That was actually the high point of my job there. Well, that and the yummy shrimp fried rice lunches from down the street, but that's beside the point. I had many customers that would ask for my help to pick something out for their daughter, neice, girlfriend, etc. I had a lady ask me one time if I went to school. I replied with a yes, and further explained that I was a sophomore. I didn't think about including the part about it being a sophomore in college, but it was about 10 or so in the morning, and I didn't think this lady was that ignorant. Wow she proved me wrong. She got closer and whispered to me that it was wrong to skip school and that the owner of the company could get into trouble if anyone were to find out. It took me a second, but I realized what she meant, quickly pointed out that I was 19 and she stared in awe. She literally stepped back and said, "No...really?" like I was lying or something. Well when I went on to tell her that I was being truthful, she "swears I look like I'm about 14." Thank you laziness for not putting on any eye makeup.

Scenario B:
This time I was dressed up for work. Slacks, a black blouse, boots, and a leopard pashmina. I have to say I look pretty cute, minus eye makeup. I went into Target to visit my favorite barrista at Starbucks. She always makes the BEST tall iced white chocolate mocha, non fat, no whip. I mean she should recieve a medal. Again, beside the point. I stood at the counter, ordered my favorite drink, all the while pleased to see that she is working. I swipe my card for $3.73, high I know, but it is so so worth it. I smile, feeling pleased with spoiling myself a little. Just when I am near sweet coffee bliss, she asks how old I am. I tell her that I am 20. She looks embarrassed because apparently she thought I was 15, actually 16 because she saw my car keys. Come to find out she is newly 18. I didn't realize you could get carded for coffee.

I would tell more stories but I don't want to bore you. Needless to say I look a lot younger than I thought. That will continue to teach me a valuable lesson in always putting on my makeup.

Good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment